Haines City IB Course Progression
The Diploma Program
For an overview of this curriculum, please visit: IB Diploma Curriculum at IB
Other Diploma Requirements:
- In order to earn the International Baccalaureate Diploma, students must earn passing scores on their six IB exams
- 3 taken at the Standard Level (SL)
- 3 taken at the Higher Level (HL)
- CAS Requirement
- Students must also complete 100 hours of Creative, Action and Service activities prior to the deadline in their senior year.
- Extended Essay Requirement
- IB students are required to conduct an independent research study which is described in the required 4,000-word IB Extended Essay due in their senior year.
IB Assessment Policy
Students take written examinations at the end of the programme, which are marked by external IB examiners. Students also complete assessment tasks in the school, which are either initially marked by teachers and then moderated by external moderators or sent directly to external examiners.
The diploma is awarded to students who gain at least 24 points, subject to certain minimum levels of performance across the whole programme and to satisfactory participation in the creativity, action, service requirement. The highest total that a programme student can be awarded is 45 points.The programme has three core requirements that are included to broaden the educational experience and challenge students to apply their knowledge and understanding.
· The Extended Essay: This is a requirement for students to engage in independent research through an in-depth study of a question relating to one of the subjects they are studying.
· Theory of Knowledge: This is a course designed to encourage students to reflect on the nature of knowledge by critically examining different ways of knowing (perception, emotion, language and reason) and different kinds of knowledge (scientific, artistic, mathematical and historical).
· Creativity, Action and Service: This requires that students actively learn from the experience of doing real tasks beyond the classroom. Students can combine all three components or do activities related to each one of them separately.